When I think of the term "happy violence" I think of movies that I have enjoyed immensely over the years. The super hero movies that I love like Iron Man and X-Men are full of violence that end in a semi-happy ending, or at least happier then before. Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained are both movies that also have many moments of violence (sometimes even grotesque) but in the end it is all for the good of the heroes in the film.
I think violence in films and tv shows and even in the books I read are just realistic. There is violence in every day life, whether it be things that happen on the news or our neighborhood kids getting into fights. However, violence like the "happy violence" that happens in the movies I mentioned are "extra." Though historically "scalp hunting" like in Inglorious Basterds did occur, it is another feeling entirely when seeing a realistic depiction of a scalping on your screen. Is it possible to achieve the same level of disgust for the villains of the movie without being so bloody and violent? I'm not sure. Even as I'm typing this, I can't shake how much I enjoy those films and how satisfactory the last bit of violence against the villains really are.
No comments:
Post a Comment